Earth Day 2018, get involved!
Posted April 16, 2018 by Roseanne
Since it's inception in 1970 Earth Day is just two years shy of celebrating it's 50th anniversary. The movement is "widely credited with having launched the modern environmental movement".
What is Earth Day and why do we celebrate it?
So what is Earth Day? It’s a day to “diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide". Everyone is encouraged to get involved and promote sustainability in any way they can. So be sure to go ahead and spread awareness!
Why is this day so important to Pod Point?
We're on a mission to ensure travel doesn't damage the Earth, so it's important we support movements which promote and encourage sustainability.
Transport is currently Europe’s largest source of carbon emissions, contributing 26%. If we’re to achieve the Paris climate goals, it’s likely that transport emissions must be reduced by 94% according to a study taken by the respected Öko-Institut in Germany.
Why is it so important to promote environmental action globally?
There's no denying the fact that we need to act fast and do significantly more to save our planet now - not in 2, 5, 10 years time.
Here are a few shocking truths to reiterate the severity of the damage we’ve caused.
Over the last 25 – 30 years:
- 80% of freshwater species have declined
- Over 50% of populations of land species have declined
- 40% of our forests have disappeared to agricultural land with 15 million trees lost each year just for soy production
- 1 in 6 of the planet’s species are at risk of extinction from climate change
Additionally, another catastrophic environmental issue is not just air pollution, but plastic consumption and waste. A recent and tragic example is of the sperm whale found washed ashore, having died after swallowing almost 30kg of plastic debris which caused gastric shock to its stomach.
The male sperm whale is an endangered species and on average weighs between 35-57 tonnes. They also have a life expectancy averaging 70 years. However, the one found washed up on the Spanish shores weighed just 6 tonnes.
"Approximately 5 trillion pieces of plastic are estimated to be floating around the worlds oceans… Marine experts believe the total weight of plastic in our oceans could outweigh fish in the world’s oceans by 2050” - Forbes.
What can you do to support Earth Day?
- Drive electric for one! If you’re already driving an EV, you’re already making a HUGE difference to our planet. But, for Earth Day, why not tell your friends why you love driving an EV and become an EV ambassador by shouting about it.
- Switch energy provider Even going back to 2012, a Friends of the Earth survey showed that nearly 9/10 people would rather pay for a renewable energy provider, but wouldn't because it was too expensive. Well, times have changed, there are now over 20 green energy providers offering competitive rates.
- Reduce your plastic consumption So far this year we’ve seen a number of companies providing incentives to customers in a bid to reduce plastic consumption and non-recyclable waste. Go and buy yourself a reusable cup and enjoy up to 50p off your coffee at these cafes.