Workplace Charging Scheme
A complete guide covering what the Workplace Charging Scheme is, how it works and how you can use it to reduce the cost of installing electric car charging points for your business.
The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) is a grant that businesses can use to reduce the cost of installing electric vehicle chargepoints for their staff by up to £10,000.
- The WCS grant is for £500 per chargepoint socket up to 20 sockets per applicant business.
- The WCS is available to any business, charity or public authority, with some conditions.
- The grant is provided by the government Office for Low Emissions Vehicles.
What is the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS)?
The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) is a government scheme for electric vehicles offered by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV).
- The WCS reduces the purchase and installation cost of a new workplace charging station (single socket) by 75% (capped at £500 per socket).
- A single business can claim for up to a maximum of 20 chargepoints (e.g. 20 single socket or 10 double socket chargepoints).
- You can't retrospectively claim for existing chargepoints on your premises.
Tip: Workplace charging is a great way to encourage your staff to adopt electric vehicles! Idaho National Laboratory found that having an available charger at your workplace makes drivers six times more likely to switch to an electric car.
How do I qualify for the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS)?
The WCS is available to any business, charity or public authority, with some conditions including the following:
- You must have sufficient off-street parking.
- While you do not need to currently have electric vehicles as part of your fleet, you will need to express an existing or future need for the business.
- You must have the charging station installed by an OLEV-approved workplace charging station installer like Pod Point.
How does the Workplace Charging Scheme work?
The WCS is a voucher based system.
- First you complete an online application.
- If successful you will be emailed a voucher code which you can then present to your OLEV-approved installer which your installer will then use to claim the grant after the installation is complete.
- The voucher code is valid for 120 days from the date of issue.
What are the benefits of electric car charging stations for businesses?
Workplace charging is ideal, because cars are parked there for long periods (employee vehicles during work hours, fleet vehicles overnight), providing a meaningful charge from low cost EV charging points.
- You can save more than £1,000 a year in commercial fleet and employee fuel costs per 10,000 miles.
- You can offer electric vehicle charging to your employees.
- You can reduce employee “benefit in kind” tax for company cars.
- A green fleet can help reduce CO2 emissions and reach sustainability goals.
Tip: Workplace charging is a great perk and is increasingly seen as a valuable tool for employee attraction and retention. It is also hugely valuable for charging of electric cars and encouraging more people to drive them.
How do I claim the Workplace Charging Scheme with Pod Point?
Pod Point is an OLEV-approved installer.
To reduce the cost of your Workplace charge point by up to £500, all you need to do is fill in this simple form and our team of experts will help you through the process of claiming the grant