Electric Car Home Charger Installation Process
A guide covering the home charge install process, what to expect on the day and what you should do to prepare.
Your home charger will be installed by our team of in-house Pod Point Experts. They are friendly and experienced, regularly receiving 5 star ratings from customers.
- A standard install typically takes around 2 hours.
- The more information you provide during the ordering process, the higher the chance your install will go ahead without delays on the day.
- Have your Wi-Fi password ready so that your expert can connect your home charger to the internet, unlocking its full range of smart features.
Who installs the electric car chargepoint?
Our Pod Point Experts (PPEs) install Pod Point charging points. As well as being highly trained and experienced electricians, part of their role is to understand the world of electric vehicles and home charging, enabling them to assist with common queries during installation.
What do the Pod Point Experts (PPEs) install?
Here’s the specification of your electric car charger:
|Ø = 360mm, depth= 150mm||Grey and Black||5kg||IP54|
How long does it take?
Each install is unique, but standard installs take around 2 hours on average. If we can’t complete on the day because of any unexpected extra works then we will reschedule an installation date at a mutually convenient time.
Unexpected extra works quotation process:
- If your installation doesn't meet the criteria for a standard installation we can usually still carry out the installation but an additional cost may be incurred.
- If this is the case, we'll carry out a free site survey and produce a no-obligation quote for the additional works. If the additional work is minor and it fits within your PPE's schedule for the day we may be able to take payment from you and complete it there and then.
- If there are significant additional works, we'll come back to you with a quote and if you accept, we will re-arrange the installation.
- If you decide not to proceed, a full refund will be provided for any payment that you've already made.
Tip: No one enjoys a failed installation visit. To avoid nasty surprises, we ask some key questions to identify potential snags. The more information you can provide the more likely your installation visit is a success.
What to prepare for your install?
- Ensure the area around the distribution board/electricity supply meter is clear including the cable run route.
- Have your Wi-Fi password ready so your PPE is able to connect your chargepoint to the internet.
Need to change your arranged time?
Not to worry, we understand that unforeseen circumstances can arise. If you need to reschedule, give us a call and we’ll happily rearrange a time that’s more convenient for you.
What is the installation process on the day?
- Your PPE will confirm their arrival time with you in advance of the installation.
- Your PPE will help you choose the best position for your charger based on your power supply and how you park your car.
- Your PPE will firstly position and fix the charger by drilling and clipping the cable to the wall, then briefly turn off the power supply while installing the RCBO and connecting it to the main supply. They’ll then do their final safety tests and make sure your home charger is ready to use.
- Your PPE will then provide a full demonstration of your charger, what the different lights mean and how to get in touch if you have any questions later on.
- Finally they will need your Wi-Fi password to complete the setup of your home charger.
Why connect to Wi-Fi?
By connecting to Wi-Fi your home charger can offer:
- Remote diagnostics, remote support issue resolution.
- “Over the Air” software updates.
- Energy usage reporting and associated features.
- Access to new smart features as they become available in the Pod Point App.
Is it secure?
Yes. Pod Point comply with data security, regulations and protocols:
- Registered under Data Protection Register (ICO reg number Z2282125).
- Regularly audited by CREST approved external agencies.
- Databases are encrypted and ISO27001 compliant.
- Payment systems are PCI DSS compliant.
What comes as standard with your install?
Our standard installation package includes the following:
- The fitting of the chargepoint on a brick or plaster wall, or to another suitable permanent structure.
- Up to 15 metres of black cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the distribution board / electricity supply meter and the chargepoint.
- Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick, where needed.
- The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the chargepoint.
- An additional three way consumer unit, if required.
- Installation of circuit protection in keeping with BS7671 regulations.
- Up to 3 metres (10 feet) of plastic conduit to conceal interior wiring.
- NB: Because of the unique way Pod Points are engineered, they do not require an earth rod.
Some conditions and limitations that you need to know about:
- The chargepoint must be located in your designated off-street parking area and be fixed at a height where it can’t be hit by a vehicle.
- If fixing cable above 1.8 metres (6 feet) is unavoidable then the installation may need to be paused - and a charge may be incurred for any extra work needed. For our engineers safety, we instruct a thorough risk assessment when working at height.
- We can’t, as part of the standard package, trench the cable underground or suspend it above ground - if something like this is required please contact us so that we can give you a quote in advance.
- We can’t run cable under floorboards or through ducting / ceiling voids / wall voids without a draw cord (to pull the cable through), or if the floorboards have not been lifted. We can’t take responsibility for reinstating flooring or other building materials after the cable has been laid.
- Our PPEs are not able to work in crawl spaces, on roofs or in lofts if it is deemed unsafe by them.
- Our PPEs are not able to work in extreme weather (i.e. flooding or intense rain). If it is not safe to carry on, our PPE will do as much as they can and we will return at a later date.
Read our full terms and conditions here.
Remember that when you are using your charger the EV charging lead must remain on your property and must not create a trip hazard for a member of the public.
Tip: Hopefully you’ll be happy with your install, but either way please let us know by rating the booking process, quality of installation on the day and the installer themselves. You’ll receive an email after completion, reviews are posted online here.