Motability Scheme For Electric Cars
All you need to know about getting an electric car with the motability scheme, covering benefits, costs, how to claim and more.
Get quick answers - jump to:
What is the Motability scheme? Why choose an electric car? How much does it cost to charge an electric car? What are my Motability electric car options? How do I claim the Motability scheme? How do I claim a free Motability Grant charging point when I choose a Nissan LEAF?
The Motability scheme allows disabled people to exchange their mobility allowance for a new car, scooter or wheelchair.
You may be eligible to join the scheme if you receive:
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Save up to £1,000 a year in fuel savings by driving electric, as it costs as little as 2p per mile. As well as being cheaper to run, electric cars are environmentally friendly with zero tailpipe emissions. Electric cars also benefit from instant torque for superior performance and acceleration, all with no engine noise for less stressful driving. Other benefits include:
- Exemption from VED (Vehicle Tax).
- Up to 50% less in maintenance costs.
- Exemption from £11.50 London congestion charge.
The cost of charging an electric car in the UK varies depending on the location and speed of the charger, but charging at home is the most cost-effective way to charge and many public charging points are free to use. Charging at home costs as little as 2p per mile:
- Typical overnight electricity rate of 10p per kWh.
- Charging therefore costs only 2p per mile.
- Based on an average 20 mile daily commute, this equates to only 40p per day.
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car.
Electric cars available on the scheme include:
- Hyundai IONIQ
- Nissan Leaf
- Toyota Auris
- Toyota Yaris
The Nissan LEAF continues to be one of the most popular electric cars with a range of over 107 miles. Nissan is offering a free home charging point to every Motability Scheme customer who chooses the LEAF, worth £779.
Contact your local Nissan dealer to find out more and discuss your needs. Once you have chosen your LEAF, visit the home charging point page and complete your order in minutes. Pod Point will be in touch next day to arrange your motability charging point install.