Electric Insights 002 | National Grid - Part 2
Posted September 02, 2020 by Roseanne
Take a look at Part 2 of the second Electric Insights. We chat to Graeme Cooper, Project Director - Transport Decarbonisation, about the grid, electrification & how COVID-19 has impacted them.
View Part 2:
Who's on Electric Insights 002?
James McKemey, Pod Point Head of Insights, chats to energy and EV specialist Graeme Cooper, Project Director – Transport Decarbonisation, National Grid.
Graeme leads National Grid’s work on electric vehicles/decarbonisation of transport by leading and coordinating all the work relating to the UK regulated business of National Grid.
As National Grid separated the Transmission Ownership (TO) from the System Operation (SO) by April 2019, Graeme will be representing the TO business of National Grid.
His work helps the Government, the energy and automotive industries transition towards zero-emission mobility. With over a decade in communications infrastructure and over a decade in low/zero carbon electricity, Graeme is a well-known and highly respected energy industry expert.
Graeme takes his decarbonisation work home with him as he buys low carbon electricity, drives a PHEV and BEV and heats his home using ground source heat pumps.
What's the episode about?
The National Grid Electric Insights episode explores the rise of EVs and National Grid’s role in driving the transition to electric.
Key points from Part 2 include:
- "Project Rapid” and why it's critical to the success of the market
- Why it's important to incentivise BEV over EV, and the role of the PHEV
- Decarbonisation policy matters: 1) the Treasury's upcoming national infrastructure plan, 2) DfT's 1st decarbonisation of transport plan for the UK 3) CCC's 6th carbon budget and implications of
Missed Part 1? View now to hear about:
- How National Grid has coped with lockdown, including employee and business perspectives
- The role of smart charging on the grid
- Perspectives on the consultation on ending the sale of non-zero emission vehicles by 2035 or earlier
What is Electric Insights?
Pod Point chats with key industry players about the EV industry and more!
We explore the following themes:
- EV technology and infrastructure
- The challenges and opportunities associated with the transition to electric
- The impact of COVID-19 on the EV industry
Want to see more?
Take a look at Electric Insights 001, with Mike Coulton - Volkswagen Financial Services (VWFS) Fleet and Policy Manager.
James McKemey and Mike Coulton discuss whether coronavirus (COVID-19) could deliver a tipping point for fleet electrification...