Electric Insights 004 | The Met Office
Posted by Roseanne: Oct 28, 2020 • 2 min read
We’re joined by The Met Office for episode 4 of our Electric Insights series.
View The Met Office episode:
Who's on Electric Insights 004?
James McKemey, Pod Point Head of Insights, chats to Ralph James, Facilities and Technical Team Manager at the Met Office.
The work of the Met Office began in 1854 so it is the oldest national forecaster. It helped the country to plan missions during both World Wars. Today it remains at the forefront of weather forecasting - its four day forecast is as accurate as its one day forecast was 30 years ago. It has some of the most powerful supercomputers in the world. And it is rated as one of the top two global forecasters for accuracy.
James is a passionate advocate of electric vehicles (EV), with nearly 10 years’ experience at Pod Point, following a career as an environmental consultant. As Pod Point’s third longest serving member, James has worked in Sales, Customer Operations and now Head of Insights, tasked with communicating to industry and key stakeholders, sharing his knowledge on all things EV charging.
What's the episode about?
In this episode James and Ralph cover a variety of topics including:
- The Met Office's sustainable business practices & electrification plans
- Extreme weather / temperatures and impact on range and battery efficiency
- Weather patterns and EV energy consumption / Factors involved in predicting EV energy consumption
- How climate change and future variations in weather will affect wind and solar power generation and subsequent impact on EV charging
- Learnings from the Met Office's collaboration with National Grid’s Electricity System Operator (ESO) - how greater accuracy in forecasting solar radiation can help to balance the grid more effectively and relevance to the EV industry
- How energy companies are preparing for the mass adoption of EVs and benefits to the industry and consumers of accurate forecasting of supply and demand
- Forecasting weather in space!
- Optimism about our ability to tackle climate change through technological progress
What is Electric Insights?
Pod Point chats with key industry players about the EV industry and more!
We explore the following themes:
- EV technology and infrastructure
- The challenges and opportunities associated with the transition to electric
- The impact of COVID-19 on the EV industry
Want to see more?
Take a look at Electric Insights 003, with Natasha Robinson - Head of OLEV.
To stay up to date with the latest chargepoint additions from Pod Point, follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for all the latest updates on new chargepoints and more.