Think you can make an electric car? You could win £200
Posted by Roseanne: Nov 05, 2019 • 8 min read
UPDATE: This competition has now closed.
View the latest latest updates from Pod Point.
Today, we’re launching our Make an Electric Car Competition, challenging primary & secondary school students to show us their best engineering feats.
Plus there’s £200 up for grabs, to be shared between the winner and their school.
To demonstrate, fellow Pod Pointer Alessio and his talented daughter Margo showed us how easy it can be to make a toy EV out of a plastic bottle and lids, inspired by the following Youtube video.
But...can you do better?
If so we'd love to see your work!
How to enter?
To enter our competition, make a short video of your electric car in motion and complete the entry form below. We recommend that you send us your video using a file sharing service (e.g. WeTransfer or private/unlisted Youtube link) to avoid any issues with oversized files.
Who can enter?
There are two age categories for entrants: 7-11 and 12-16, and entries will be judged on functionality (as seen in the video) and design flair.
Why are we doing it?
It’s all part of our Electric Schools campaign, which aims to raise awareness of how electric vehicles can help in the fight against air pollution and climate change, and make young people excited about the future of mobility.
What could I win?
£200 in total, shared between the winner and their school.
When does the competition close?
Closing date for entries is 1st March 2020. Full terms and conditions are below so… get creating!
We can’t wait to see your efforts. For more EV inspired Key Stage 2 activities, download our toolkit by visiting our Electric Schools page below.
Terms & Conditions
Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know! By entering the competition, you agree to be bound by these terms. You’ll need an adult (parent/guardian/teacher) to enter on your behalf, so please ask that adult, as well as your parent or guardian to also read these terms.
- Pod Point Limited (06851754) of Discovery House, 28-42 Banner Street, London EC1Y 8QE, UK (“Pod Point”) is the promotor.
- Entrants can enter between 12pm on 5th November 2019 (“Opening Date”) AND Sunday 1st March 2020, 5pm (“Closing Date”). Entries must be submitted by an adult (parent/guardian/teacher) on behalf of the child; this adult must have parental consent. This adult may be asked, with parental consent, to provide proof of age, identity and eligibility. The adult must include the adult’s contact and personal details with the entry (NOT the child’s). Before announcing any winner, Pod Point may contact the submitting adult and check the confirmation of permission from the entrant’s parent or guardian.
- This competition is open to legal residents of the United Kingdom except for the children or close relatives of employees or contractors of Pod Point. Entry will be in two age categories – ages 7 to 11 years (on 1st March 2020) and 12 to 16 years (on 1st March 2020).
- The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows:
- Entrants must make a functioning toy electric - powered car and submit a video of the car in motion via the entry form.
- Help may be provided by parents/guardians and/or teachers.
- The responsible adult submitting the video on behalf of the entrant will be asked to provide their own name and contact details and the entrant’s gender and age and ensure that they have parental consent to do so.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- Entries can only be accepted via the form between the Opening Date and the Closing Date; postal entries, or entries outside this period will not be considered.
- Entrants can only enter individually. Only one entry per person is permitted. If more than one entry is submitted, only the entrant's first submission will be considered.
- Please make sure the video only features the entrant. Please make sure there are no other identifiable children or adults in the video.
- Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
- Pod Point reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of these terms, or to withhold a prize if in its opinion entries do not reach the required standard.
- These terms are governed by the laws of England.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, YouTube. Entrants understand that you are providing your information to Pod Point and not to YouTube, and you completely release YouTube from any claims in relation to this competition.
This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Entrants understand that you are providing your information to Pod Point and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition.
Entrants must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. Entrants understand that you are providing your information to Pod Point and not to Instagram, and you completely release
Apple/ Google is not a sponsor of, or responsible for conducting, this competition.
How to enter and prize details
- Entrants don’t have to buy anything to enter and there is no fee. By entering, entrants promise that all of the entry is the entrant’s own work.
- The entry is received at the time Pod Point receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If entries get lost in cyberspace or don’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Pod Point’s fault.
- One first prize winner in each age category will receive: £100 plus £100 for his or her school. There are no restrictions on how the school spends the prize money.
The total prize value is £400.
- Entries cannot be returned so please remember to retain a copy.
- Whilst entrants may take inspiration from YouTube or other sources, please make sure the entry is an original work and does not copy what you’ve seen or infringe the rights of any other party. If Pod Point considers that the entry contains any unsuitable material, Pod Point reserves the right to disqualify the entry.
How is the winner chosen?
- The winner will be selected: by a panel of 3 judges from Pod Point’s Product Development Team, who will review all eligible entries and decide the best overall winner for each age category based on functionality (as seen on the video) and design flair. Before deciding on a winner, the panel may shortlist a number of entries and publish these online, subject to first obtaining parental/ guardian consent.
- We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by contacting the adult who submitted the entry within 28 days of the Closing Date and the winner’s name(s) will be published on the Pod Point website within 2 days after selection, subject to parental/ guardian consent. Please send an email to email@example.com, including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
- Pod Point will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by 1st May 2020, the next best entry will be declared the winner. Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Pod Point’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
- Pod Point’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Pod Point cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, Internet access, system or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded.
If you do win
- We may ask the adult who submitted the entry to provide proof of identity, residency, school details and age of the entrant (all as of the Closing Date), so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
- Entrant’s can’t ask us to give the prize to someone else.
- Payment will be made via bank transfer to a verified bank account.
- The winners will be asked to record and send us a short video for us to use on social media, subject to your parent or guardian’s consent.
What happens to my entry?
- On behalf of the entrant, the parent or guardian gives Pod Point a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of the entrant’s video in any form and media, in relation to the “Make an Electric Car” competition and also consents to Pod Point editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute the entrant, provided we have parental consent to do so. You agree that Pod Point may edit or adapt the entry as it sees fit.
- Pod Point will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion, publicise the promotion and award the prize. Pod Point can use the Winners’ name(s) and photograph(s) for future marketing purposes, with parental/ guardian consent.
- We will keep your personal information in accordance with Pod Point’s Privacy Notice.