Plug-In Grant: A Complete Guide
A complete guide that covers what the plug-in grant is and how it can reduce the cost of your electric vehicle.
Last updated: Nov 04, 2022 • 3 min read
The UK plug-in vehicle grant is administered by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV). It is designed to encourage the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK by reducing the initial cost to drivers.
- It offers up to £500 off the price of eligible motorcycles, £150 off eligible mopeds, and up to £5,000 off eligible vans (£2,500 for small vans).
- It is only available on the greenest plug-in models.
- The grant is typically applied for by the vehicle manufacturers on the customers behalf and acts as a straightforward discount to the list price.
- The plug-in grant for cars ended on 14th June 2022.
Please Note: The PIG has been extended by 18 months due to supply issues impacting the vehicle industry. Crucially, this only applies to existing car orders placed by dealers and logged on the system between 14th June 2021 to 31st March 2023.
What is the plug-in vehicle grant?
The government’s Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) plug-in vehicle grant is designed to promote the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK.
The grant provides a discount on the purchase price of a brand new eligible plug-in van or motorcycle. Cars are no longer eligible.
- The electric vehicle subsidy in the UK is applied at the time of purchase and is usually given as a discount on the purchase price of a vehicle.
- There are plug-in vehicle grants available for electric vans, trucks, motorcycles and mopeds.
Tip: The plug-in vehicle grant has been removed for cars and has gradually gotten less generous over the years. If you’re looking to get an eligible vehicle, it’s best to get it sooner rather than later.
What does the plug-in grant offer drivers?
The UK electric vehicle grant reduces the cost of new eligible electric vehicles. The amount of the grant varies by vehicle type:
- Motorcycles and mopeds can get 35% off, up to a maximum of £500 (£150 for mopeds).
- Vans can get up to 35% off, up to a maximum of £5,000 (£2,500 for small vans).
How do I qualify for the plug-in grant?
To qualify for the plug-in vehicle grant, you must be purchasing a brand new electric vehicle that depending on its category meets the following requirements:
|Vehicle Category||Electric Range||Combined CO2 Emissions||Maximum Price|
> 60 miles
< 50 g/km
|Motorcycle||> 31 miles||0 g/km||< £10,000|
|Mopeds||> 19 miles||0 g/km||< £10,000|
*Each business and organisation can claim a total of 1,000 grants per year. This limit resets every year on the 1st of April.
How do I claim the plug-in vehicle grant?
The UK government electric vehicle grant is applied at the time of purchase and your manufacturer will usually handle the administrative leg work.