Plug-In Car Grant: A Complete Guide
A complete guide that covers what the plug-in car grant is and how it can reduce the cost of your plug-in vehicle by up to £2,500.
Last updated: Oct 25, 2021 • 3 min read
The UK plug-in car grant is administered by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV). It is designed to encourage the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK by reducing the initial cost to drivers.
- It offers £2,500 off the price of eligible new electric cars.
- You can also get up to £1,500 off the price of eligible motorcycles and mopeds, and up to £6,000 off eligible vans (£3,000 for small vans).
- It is only available on the greenest plug-in models.
- The grant is typically applied for by the car manufacturers on the customers behalf and acts as a straight forward discount to the list price.
What is the plug-in car grant?
The government’s Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) plug-in car grant is designed to promote the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK.
The grant provides a discount on the purchase price of a brand new eligible plug-in vehicle.
- The electric car subsidy in the UK is applied at the time of purchase and is usually given as a discount off the purchase price of a vehicle.
- No formal date has yet been given for the end of the plug-in car grant in its current form.
As well as electric cars, there are plug-in vehicle grants available for other vehicle categories including electric vans, motorcycles and mopeds.
Tip: The plug-in car grant has got gradually less generous over the years. This means if you are looking to take advantage of preferential grants and tax advantages, it’s best to get an electric car sooner rather than later.
What does the plug-in car grant offer drivers?
The UK electric car grant reduces the cost of new eligible electric vehicles. The amount of the grant varies by vehicle type:
- Cars can get 35% off the purchase price, up to a maximum of £2,500.
- Motorcycles and mopeds can get 20% off, up to a maximum of £1,500.
- Vans can get up to 35% off, up to a maximum of £6,000 (£3,000 for small vans).
How do I qualify for the plug-in grant?
To qualify for the plug-in car grant, you must be purchasing a brand new electric vehicle that depending on its category meets the following requirements:
|Vehicle Category||Electric Range||Combined CO2 Emissions||Maximum Price|
|Car||> 70 miles||< 50 g/km||< £35,000|
|Van||> 60 miles||< 50 g/km||N/A|
|Moped/Motorcycle||> 31 miles||0 g/km||N/A|
This means the most affordable full battery electric vehicles (BEVs) qualify.
Tip: OZEV also offer other useful grants, including the “Electric Vehicle Homecharging Scheme (EVHS)” grant for home charging points. The EVHS grant is also available for all major BEVs, but also a much wider range of PHEVs than the plug-in car grant is.
How do I claim the plug-in car grant?
The UK government electric car grant is applied at the time of purchase and your manufacturer will usually handle the administrative leg work.