BMW i4 (2021)
The complete guide to charging your BMW i4 (2021), covering electric range, how long it takes to charge, how much it costs, and much more.
Last updated: Apr 22, 2022 • 8 min read
BMW’s range of BEVs continues to strengthen with the i4, their first step towards volume EV production. It’s a saloon that radiates grace, style, and familiarity, with internal and external features inspired by the 4 Series and 3 Series. But it’s not all borrowed, with the i4 boasting a unique suspension and dynamic stability controls, plus the iDrive system seen in their new iX SUV. Its 335hp engine can comfortably reach 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds, and that’s not even the best bit; 365 miles of WLTP-verified range! Range anxiety - what’s that?
This guide is based on the eDrive40, there is also an M50 version available, with almost double the power, but you’ll have around 50 miles less range.
Charging time for a BMW i4
The table below shows the estimated time to charge your i4 from empty to full. For rapid charging, we show the time to charge from 20% - 80%, as charging tends to slow outside this range to protect the battery.
|Charging method||Typically found at||Charging time*||Range/hour**|
|Empty to full|
|3-pin plug||Home||37 h||9 m/h|
|3.6kW||Home / Work||23 h||14 m/h|
|7kW||Home / Work / Public Locations||12 h||27 m/h|
|22kW||Work / Public Locations||8 h||42 m/h|
|50kW||Public Locations||70 min||96 m/30 min|
|150kW||Public Locations||30 min||288 m/30 min|
* Based on Pod Point estimates, charging time can differ based on the ambient temperature, the state of the battery (e.g. empty or half full) and variation in charging rate. Max charging rate may also be limited by the vehicle.
** Range per hour is the number of miles you can expect to get from an hour of charging at the relevant rate.
Connector type and charging rates
You can charge your BMW i4 with a Type 2 connector at home, work or at a public charging point. There is also a CCS connector for rapid charging.
Where you can charge a BMW i4
You can charge your BMW i4 conveniently at home, plug-in when you arrive at work or top up when you're out and about at locations including supermarkets and public car parks.
On Public Networks
* Standard pricing, excludes any grants.
** Other charging options are also available, speak to our team for more information.
*** Available for vehicles with either CCS or CHAdeMO connectors.
Cost to charge
Cost of charging a BMW i4
The cost of charging your car will vary between home, work and public chargepoints (below are our estimates). Charging on the Pod Point Network can be accessed through the Pod Point App.
|Home (empty to full)*||£22.60||7.28p|
|Public rapid chargers (20%-80%)**||£21.30||11.44p|
* Assumes tariff of 28p/kWh. The cost of home charging will vary depending on your electricity rate.
** Assumes tariff of 44p/kWh applicable to most network rapid chargers as of April 2022.
|Official range (WLTP*)||365 miles|
|Pod Point Confidence Range**||310 miles|
* For information on "WLTP" and more, please visit our Electric Vehicle Dictionary.
** Pod Point Confidence Range is the maximum distance we’d be confident driving on electric power between charges. Real range will depend on various factors including driving conditions, personal driving style, outside temperature, heating / air conditioning, etc.
|0-62 mph||5.7 seconds|
|Top speed||118 mph|
|Engine power||335 bhp / 250 kW|
|Battery size||83.9 kWh|
|Usable battery (Pod Point estimate)||80.7 kWh|
|Official battery efficiency (WLTP)||256 Wh/mile|
|Battery efficiency (Pod Point estimate)||260 Wh/mile|
|Official MPG (WLTP)||N/A|
|Official CO2 emissions (WLTP)||0 gCO2/km|
|CO2 emissions from UK grid electricity usage (Pod Point calculated)*||30 gCO2/km|
* This metric estimates the environmental impact of driving your electric vehicle based on how the electricity that powers your car is generated. We take the average carbon intensity across the UK grid measured throughout 2021 to calculate the expected grams of CO2 emitted per 1 km driven. The actual number will vary by region, when you charge (e.g. carbon intensity is usually lower overnight period) and whether your electricity comes from more renewable sources than the average.
Purchase, Tax & Grants
The BMW i4 is only eligible for the EV chargepoint grant, but you will benefit from £0 road tax and £0 London Congestion Charge.
* On-the-road price including Plug-in Grant, if applicable.
|Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)||Amount|
|Benefit in Kind (BiK) tax year||BiK tax rate||Annual BiK value|
|For cars registered after 6 April 2020|
* For further information including how to calculate personal BiK liabilities, please visit our Electric Car Tax guide.
|London Congestion Zone Charge*||£0|
|Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge**||£0|
* A £10 annual registration fee will still apply to each vehicle.
** For further information on London's Ultra Low Emission Zones (ULEZ), please visit our ULEZ guide.
|OZEV EV chargepoint grant||✔||£350||Can be used to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
|OZEV Plug-in Grant||✘||£0||Used to reduce the cost of the vehicle|
|EST Domestic Charge Point Grant||✔||£300||Can be used in Scotland in addition to the EV chargepoint grant to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
* Prices for vehicles are typically displayed with the Plug-in grant discount already applied. Home charging grants are dependent on status of the grant, and subject to eligibility requirements of the applicant as well as the vehicle.