Polestar 2 (2020)
The complete guide to the Polestar 2 (2020), from the car itself to running costs and charging.
Last updated: Apr 06, 2022 • 7 min read
The Polestar brand has been reborn to offer performance electrified vehicles, and the Polestar 2 marks the first full BEV model. With a design that's evocative of muscle cars of yesteryear, the Polestar 2 has performance to match, strong range figures and 150kW DC charging capability. The car also features incredible tech, from its smartphone style infotainment system to its advanced headlights. One of the most desirable electric cars available to order.
Charging time for a Polestar 2
The table below shows the estimated time to charge your 2 from empty to full. For rapid charging, we show the time to charge from 20% - 80%, as charging tends to slow outside this range to protect the battery.
|Charging method||Typically found at||Charging time*||Range/hour**|
|Empty to full|
|3-pin plug||Home||34 h||8 m/h|
|3.6kW||Home / Work||21 h||12 m/h|
|7kW||Home / Work / Public Locations||11 h||23 m/h|
|22kW||Work / Public Locations||7 h||37 m/h|
|50kW||Public Locations||60 min||84 m/30 min|
|150kW||Public Locations||20 min||251 m/30 min|
* Based on Pod Point estimates, charging time can differ based on the ambient temperature, the state of the battery (e.g. empty or half full) and variation in charging rate. Max charging rate may also be limited by the vehicle.
** Range per hour is the number of miles you can expect to get from an hour of charging at the relevant rate.
Connector type and charging rates
You can charge your Polestar 2 with a Type 2 connector at home, work or at a public charging point. There is also a CCS connector for rapid charging.
Where you can charge a Polestar 2
You can charge your Polestar 2 conveniently at home, plug-in when you arrive at work or top up (mostly for free!) when you're out and about at locations including supermarkets and public car parks.
On Public Networks
* Standard pricing, excludes any grants.
** Other charging options are also available, speak to our team for more information.
*** Available for vehicles with either CCS or CHAdeMO connectors.
Cost to charge
Cost of charging a Polestar 2
The cost of charging your car will vary between home, work and public chargepoints (below are our estimates). Charging on the Pod Point Network is usually free through the Pod Point App.
|Home (empty to full)*||£20.75||8.36p|
|Public rapid chargers (20%-80%)**||£19.56||13.14p|
* Assumes tariff of 28p/kWh. The cost of home charging will vary depending on your electricity rate.
** Assumes tariff of 44p/kWh applicable to most network rapid chargers as of April 2022.
|Official range (WLTP*)||292 miles|
|Pod Point Confidence Range**||248 miles|
* For information on "WLTP" and more, please visit our Electric Vehicle Dictionary.
** Pod Point Confidence Range is the maximum distance we’d be confident driving on electric power between charges. Real range will depend on various factors including driving conditions, personal driving style, outside temperature, heating / air conditioning, etc.
|0-62 mph||4.7 seconds|
|Top speed||127 mph|
|Engine power||402 bhp / 300 kW|
|Battery size||78 kWh|
|Usable battery (Pod Point estimate)||74.1 kWh|
|Official battery efficiency (WLTP)||305 Wh/mile|
|Battery efficiency (Pod Point estimate)||299 Wh/mile|
|Official MPG (WLTP)||N/A|
|Official CO2 emissions (WLTP)||0 gCO2/km|
|CO2 emissions from UK grid electricity usage (Pod Point calculated)*||35 gCO2/km|
* This metric estimates the environmental impact of driving your electric vehicle based on how the electricity that powers your car is generated. We take the average carbon intensity across the UK grid measured throughout 2021 to calculate the expected grams of CO2 emitted per 1 km driven. The actual number will vary by region, when you charge (e.g. carbon intensity is usually lower overnight period) and whether your electricity comes from more renewable sources than the average.
Purchase, Tax & Grants
The Polestar 2 is only eligible for the EV chargepoint grant, but you will benefit from £0 road tax and £0 London Congestion Charge.
* On-the-road price including Plug-in Grant, if applicable.
|Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)||Amount|
|Benefit in Kind (BiK) tax year||BiK tax rate||Annual BiK value|
|For cars registered after 6 April 2020|
* For further information including how to calculate personal BiK liabilities, please visit our Electric Car Tax guide.
|London Congestion Zone Charge*||£0|
|Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge**||£0|
* A £10 annual registration fee will still apply to each vehicle.
** For further information on London's Ultra Low Emission Zones (ULEZ), please visit our ULEZ guide.
|OZEV EV chargepoint grant||✔||£350||Can be used to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
|OZEV Plug-in Grant||✘||£0||Used to reduce the cost of the vehicle|
|EST Domestic Charge Point Grant||✔||£300||Can be used in Scotland in addition to the EV chargepoint grant to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
* Prices for vehicles are typically displayed with the Plug-in grant discount already applied. Home charging grants are dependent on status of the grant, and subject to eligibility requirements of the applicant as well as the vehicle.