BMW i3 Charging Guide
The complete guide to charging your BMW i3, covering range, charging cost, charging time and more.
- 2017 BMW i3 has a 33kWh battery with a range of 114 miles (EPA rating) on a full charge.
- Range Extender option (petrol generator charges the battery) boosts the range to 180 miles (EPA rating).
|i3 22kWh (-2016)||i3 22kWh range extender (-2016)||i3 33kWh (2017)||i3 33kWh range extender (2017)|
|81 miles||150 miles||114 miles||180 miles|
- Time to charge BMW i3 at home from empty with standard 3 pin plug takes 12 - 15 hours.
- Charging your i3 with a home charging point takes only 4 - 6 hours.
- BMW i3 is compatible with two charging rates at home: 3.7kW or 7kW
- BMW i3 also has a 50kW charging option for super-quick charge at public rapid stations.
The table below shows the time it takes to charge a BMW i3 using a 3.7kW and a 7kW home charger.
|BMW i3 22kWh (-2016)||BMW i3 33kWh (2017)|
|3.7kW charging point||6-7 hours||9-10 hours|
|7kW charging point||3-4 hours||5-6 hours|
Click here to read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car.
The cost of charging a BMW i3 in the UK varies whether you are charging at home or on public charging stations. Charging at home is the most cost-effective way to charge, although many public charging points are free to use. Charging at home costs as little as 3p per mile.
- Typical overnight electricity rate of 10p per kWh.
- Charging a BMW i3 at home from empty to full costs £3.30.
- This equates to only 3p per mile.
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car.
Charging a BMW i3 can be done anywhere with access to a reliable electrical supply, but majority of drivers use a home charging point.
- Home charging points is where most electric car charging takes place, as your vehicle can be plugged in overnight for a full charge every morning.
- Public charging points at places like supermarkets and car parks are available across the UK and are often free to use for the duration of your stay.
- Workplace charging points are becoming more common and are often offered as a staff incentive, but some employers may charge fees to encourage fair usage throughout the working day.
- Rapid chargers charge your battery to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes and are typically found at motorway service stations.
Charging a BMW i3 at home is done with a home charging point. A home charger fully installed costs between £400-£500 after claiming the £500 government OLEV grant. Charging point providers claim the OLEV grant on your behalf.
- 3.7kW charging point costs around £400 installed
- 7kW charging point costs around £500 installed
- All prices quoted include the £500 OLEV grant
Click here to get a charging point for BMW i3.