BMW i8 Charging Guide
The complete guide to charging your BMW i8, covering charging time, range, cost, charging options and more.
Charging your BMW i8 at home with a standard 3 pin plug can take anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, whereas using a dedicated home charging point takes only 1 to 2 hours. Make the most of your i8 by charging overnight or by topping up the battery whilst out and about, as the 23 mile range is ideal for a typical day of city driving.
The i8 can only charge at a rate of 3.7kW and so cannot take full advantage of a 7kW home charging point, but the 7kW option is ideal for future-proofing your home for your next plug-in vehicle or for charging other plug-in hybrids.
|3.7kW charging point||1-2 hours|
|7kW charging point||1-2 hours|
Click here to read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car
The BMW i8 provides a range of up to 23 miles of electric driving and up to 370 miles combined with the petrol engine. This is a perfect balance between city-based electric driving and long range hybrid journeys. With the electric battery, the BMW i8 achieves an MPG of up to 134 miles per gallon.
|Pure electric mode||Hybrid mode|
|23 miles||370 miles|
The cost of charging a BMW i8 in the UK varies depending on the location and speed of the charger, but charging at home is the most cost-effective way to charge and many public charging points are free to use. Charging at home costs as little as 3p per mile:
- Typical overnight electricity rate of 10p per kWh
- Charging a BMW i8 therefore costs only 3p per mile
- Based on an average 20 mile daily commute, this equates to only 60p per day
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car
Charging your BMW i8 can be done anywhere with access to a reliable electrical supply, but the vast majority of charging takes place with dedicated electric vehicle charging points.
- Home charging points is where most electric car charging takes place, as your vehicle can be plugged in overnight for a full charge every morning.
- Destination charging points at places like supermarkets and car parks are available across the UK and are often free to use for the duration of your stay.
- Workplace charging points are becoming more common and are often offered as a staff incentive, but some employers may use time-related fees to encourage chargepoint sharing throughout the working day.
- Rapid charging points are designed to charge your car’s battery to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes and are usually found at motorway service stations.
Charging a BMW i8 at home is usually done through a dedicated home charging point, which comes with a one-off cost for purchase and installation. However, a government grant (known as OLEV) of £500 can be claimed to help towards this cost.
- 3.7kW charging point typically costs around £390 installed
- 7kW charging point typically costs around £485 installed
- All prices quoted include the £500 OLEV grant
Click here to read more about charging options for BMW i8