BMW i8 Charger Guide
The complete guide to charging your BMW i8, covering range, charging time, how to charge and more.
This revolutionary plug-in hybrid (PHEV) sports car uses eDrive technology that combines the efficiency of an all-electric motor and the power of a TwinPower Turbo engine which makes for a thrilling driving experience.
- BMW i8 range is 23 miles (NEDC) of electric driving.
- Combined with petrol engine, range is up to 370 miles (NEDC).
- With electric battery, BMW i8 achieves MPG of up to 134 miles per gallon.
|Electric mode||Hybrid mode|
|23 miles||370 miles|
- Charging the BMW i8 at home with a 3 pin plug takes 2-3 hours.
- Home charging point will charge a BMW i8 to full in only 1-2 hours.
- Maximise your electric range by charging at home overnight.
The BMW i8 can only charge with 3.7kW charging point. The 7kW charging point however will future-proof your car park for your next electric vehicle and ensures you take advantage of the government OLEV grant (while it's still available).
|3.7kW charging point||1-2 hours|
|7kW charging point||1-2 hours|
Read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car.
- Charging a BMW i8 costs about £2.18.
- Running costs for BMW i8 are only 9p per mile.
- If you only use the battery for a 20 mile daily commute, you can save up to £1,000 a year in fuel costs.
- Charging at home with a charging point is the safest and most cost-effective way to charge.
Find out more about the cost of charging an electric car.
You can charge a BMW i8 anywhere with access to reliable electrical supply. The vast majority of electric vehicle drivers will charge at home to maximise their fuel savings.
- Charge at home overnight to wake up to a full charge every morning.
- Charge at public charging stations at car parks and supermarkets across the UK, which are free to use for the duration of your stay.
- Workplace charging points are becoming more common in the UK and are usually offered as a staff incentive
- Rapid chargers in motorway service stations will charge your battery in minutes (but cost £6.50 for 30 minutes of use).
When deciding on which chargepoint to charge your BMW i8 from, you need to know the connector type (Type 1 or Type 2 plug) and the maximum single-phase charge rate (3.7kW or 7kW).
- The BMW i8 uses a Type 2 connector.
- The i8 uses a single-phase charge rate of 3.7kW.