VW e-Golf Charger Guide
The complete guide to charging your VW e-Golf, covering charging times, range, charging cost and more.
The VW e-Golf has a 24.2kWh battery which provides up to 118 miles of range on a single charge. This figure may be affected by environmental factors (e.g. ambient temperature) as well as your driving style, but a typical 20 mile commute would easily be covered by the e-Golf's range.
Charging your VW e-Golf at home with a standard 3 pin plug can take anywhere between 12 and 15 hours, whereas using a dedicated home charging point takes only 4 to 6 hours. The e-Golf is available with two rates of charging (measured in kW), which affects the charging time from empty to full. The table below shows the maximum charging rates for each combination.
|7-8 hours||4-5 hours|
Click here to read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car.
Charging your VW e-Golf can be done anywhere with access to a reliable electrical supply, but the vast majority of charging takes place with dedicated electric vehicle charging points.
- Home charging points is where most electric car charging takes place, as your vehicle can be plugged in overnight for a full charge every morning.
- Destination charging points at places like supermarkets and car parks are available across the UK and are often free to use for the duration of your stay.
- Workplace charging points are becoming more common and are often offered as a staff incentive, but some employers may use time-related fees to encourage chargepoint sharing throughout the working day.
- Rapid charging points are designed to charge your car’s battery to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes and are usually found at motorway service stations.
The cost of charging a VW e-Golf in the UK varies depending on the location and speed of the charger, but charging at home is the most cost-effective way to charge and many public charging points are free to use. Charging at home costs as little as 2p per mile:
- Typical overnight electricity rate of 10p per kWh
- Charging a VW e-Golf therefore costs only 2p per mile
- Based on an average 20 mile daily commute, this equates to only 40p per day
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car.
A 3.7kW charging point typically costs from £279* fully installed.
*Pricing assumes eligibility of the OLEV grant and standard install terms.