Volvo XC90 PHEV Charging Guide
The complete guide to charging your Volvo XC90 PHEV, covering electric and petrol range, how to charge, how long it takes and how much it costs.
The Volvo XC90 provides a range of up to 25 miles of electric driving and up to 500 miles combined with the petrol engine. This is a perfect balance between city-based electric driving and long range hybrid journeys. With the electric battery, the Volvo XC90 achieves an MPG of up to 134 miles per gallon.
|Pure electric mode||Hybrid mode|
|25 miles||400-500 miles|
Charging your Volvo XC90 can be done anywhere with access to a reliable electrical supply, but the vast majority of charging takes place with dedicated electric vehicle charging points.
- Home charging points is where most electric car charging takes place, as your vehicle can be plugged in overnight for a full charge every morning.
- Destination charging points at places like supermarkets and car parks are available across the UK and are often free to use for the duration of your stay.
- Workplace charging points are becoming more common and are often offered as a staff incentive, but some employers may use time-related fees to encourage chargepoint sharing throughout the working day.
- Rapid charging points are designed to charge your car’s battery to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes and are usually found at motorway service stations.
Charging your Volvo XC90 at home with a standard 3 pin plug can take anywhere between 4 and 5 hours, whereas using a dedicated home charging point takes only 2 to 3 hours. Make the most of your Volvo by charging overnight or by topping up the battery whilst out and about, as the 25 mile range is ideal for a typical day of city driving.
The XC90 can only charge at a rate of 3.5kW and so cannot take full advantage of a 7kW home charging point, but the 7kW option is ideal for future-proofing your home for your next plug-in vehicles or for charging other plug-in hybrids.
|3.7kW charging point||2-3 hours|
|7kW charging point||2-3 hours|
Click here to read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car
The cost of charging a Volvo XC90 in the UK varies depending on the location and speed of the charger, but charging at home is the most cost-effective way to charge and many public charging points are free to use. Charging at home costs as little as 3p per mile:
- Typical overnight electricity rate of 10p per kWh
- Charging a Volvo XC90 therefore costs only 4p per mile
- Based on an average 20 mile daily commute, this equates to only 80p per day
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car
Charging a Volvo XC90 at home is usually done through a dedicated home charging point, which comes with a one-off cost for purchase and installation. However, a government grant (known as OLEV) of £500 can be claimed to help towards this cost.
- 3.7kW charging point typically costs around £390 installed
- 7kW charging point typically costs around £485 installed
- All prices quoted include the £500 OLEV grant
Click here to read more about charging options for Volvo XC90