Volvo XC90 PHEV Charging Guide
The complete guide to charging your Volvo XC90 PHEV, covering electric range, how long it takes to charge and how much it costs.
The Volvo XC90 provides a range of up to 25 miles of electric driving and up to 500 miles with the petrol engine. The XC90 PHEV is perfect for short electric commutes as well as long journeys with petrol engine. With the electric battery, the Volvo XC90 achieves an MPG of up to 134 miles per gallon.
|Electric mode||Hybrid mode|
|25 miles||400-500 miles|
- Charging the Volvo XC90 at home with 3 pin plug takes between 3-4 hours.
- Using a home charging point takes as little as 2 hours.
- The XC90 can charge at a maximum rate of 3.5kW per hour and cannot benefit from a 7kW home charging point.
- A 7kW charging point can future proof your home for your next PHEV and ensure you get full advantage of the OLEV grant.
|3.7kW charging point||2-3 hours|
|7kW charging point||2-3 hours|
Click here to read more about how long it takes to charge an electric car.
Charging a Volvo XC90 at home is the most cost effective way to charge. However, public EV charging stations are often free to use and provide a conveinent alternative to home charging.
- Charging the Volvo XC90 at home costs about 90p for a full charge.
- Running costs are as low as 3p per mile.
- If your daily commute is less than 25 miles, your annual fuel spend will be only about £250.
- That saves nearly £1,000 a year compared to a petrol car.
Click here to read more about the cost of charging an electric car.
You can charge a Volvo XC90 anywhere with a reliable electrical supply. Most EV drivers will charge their plug-in hybrids at home.
- Charging at home is the most convenient because your vehicle is idle for at least 10 hours. You can also make use of cheap overnight electricity rates.
- Public EV stations at supermarkets, gyms and car parks are available across the UK and are typically free to use.
- Workplace charging is becoming more popular with employers and are often offered as a staff incentive.
- Rapid charging stations charge your battery in minutes and are found at motorway service stations.
Charging your Volvo XC90 at home requires you to install a dedicated home charging point, which comes with a one-off cost for purchase and installation. There's a government grant of £500 to help towards this cost.
- 3.7kW charging points typically cost around £400 installed.
- 7kW charging points typically cost around £500 installed.
- All prices quoted include the £500 OLEV grant.
Click here to read more about charging options for Volvo XC90.