Porsche Taycan (2020)
The complete guide to the Porsche Taycan (2020), from the car itself to running costs and charging.
Sleek, handsome and self-assured, the Taycan is very much a Porsche, but also very much a BEV, complete with whopping 225kW rapid charging capability and plenty of range. Being a Porsche, performance is the name of the game here, and even in the more standard 4S model (the numbers in this guide relate to the 4S variant), 0-60 arriving in a mere 4 seconds, while refined, sporty handling matches expectations for the legendary German brand. A premium feel throughout the car leaves you feeling that you're in something pretty elite - as does the price. A great car in its own right, but also a sign of electrifying drives yet to come.
Charging time for a Porsche Taycan
The table below shows the estimated time to charge your Taycan from empty to full. For rapid charging, we show the time to charge from 20% - 80%, as charging tends to slow outside this range to protect the battery.
|Charging method||Typically found at||Charging time*||Range/hour**|
|Empty to full|
|3-pin plug||Home||35 h||7 m/h|
|3.6kW||Home / Work||22 h||11 m/h|
|7kW||Home / Work / Public Locations||12 h||20 m/h|
|22kW||Work / Public Locations||7 h||32 m/h|
|50kW||Public Locations||60 min||72 m/30 min|
|150kW||Public Locations||20 min||215 m/30 min|
* Based on Pod Point estimates, charging time can differ based on the ambient temperature, the state of the battery (e.g. empty or half full) and variation in charging rate. Max charging rate may also be limited by the vehicle.
** Range per hour is the number of miles you can expect to get from an hour of charging at the relevant rate.
Connector type and charging rates
You can charge your Porsche Taycan with a Type 2 connector at home, work or at a public charging point. There is also a CCS connector for rapid charging.
* Optional 22kW on-board charger available.
Where you can charge a Porsche Taycan
You can charge your Porsche Taycan conveniently at home, plug-in when you arrive at work or top up (mostly for free!) when you're out and about at locations including supermarkets and public car parks.
On Public Networks
* Price includes £350 OZEV grant, full price £799.
** Other charging options are also available, speak to our team for more information.
*** Available for vehicles with either CCS or CHAdeMO connectors.
Cost to charge
Cost of charging a Porsche Taycan
The cost of charging your car will vary between home, work and public chargepoints (below are our estimates). Charging on the Pod Point Network is usually free through the Pod Point App.
|Home (empty to full)*||£12.79||5.92p|
|Public rapid chargers (20%-80%)**||£11.29||8.71p|
* Assumes tariff of 17p/kWh. The cost of home charging will vary depending on your electricity rate.
** Assumes tariff of 25p/kWh applicable to most Pod Point rapid chargers.
|Official range (WLTP*)||254 miles|
|Pod Point Confidence Range**||216 miles|
* For information on "WLTP" and more, please visit our Electric Vehicle Dictionary.
** Pod Point Confidence Range is the maximum distance we’d be confident driving on electric power between charges. Real range will depend on various factors including driving conditions, personal driving style, outside temperature, heating / air conditioning, etc.
|0-62 mph||4 seconds|
|Top speed||155 mph|
|Engine power||523 bhp / 390 kW|
|Battery size||79.2 kWh|
|Usable battery (Pod Point estimate)||75.2 kWh|
|Official battery efficiency (WLTP)||335 Wh/mile|
|Battery efficiency (Pod Point estimate)||348 Wh/mile|
|Official MPG (WLTP)||N/A|
|Official CO2 emissions (WLTP)||0 gCO2/km|
|CO2 emissions from UK grid electricity usage (Pod Point calculated)*||39 gCO2/km|
* This metric estimates the environmental impact of driving your electric vehicle based on how the electricity that powers your car is generated. We take the average carbon intensity across the UK grid measured throughout 2020 to calculate the expected grams of CO2 emitted per 1 km driven. The actual number will vary by region, when you charge (e.g. carbon intensity is usually lower overnight period) and whether your electricity comes from more renewable sources than the average.
Purchase, Tax & Grants
The Porsche Taycan is only eligible for the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) grant, but you will benefit from £0 year 1 road tax and £0 London Congestion Charge.
* On-the-road price excluding Plug-in Car Grant.
|Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)||Amount|
|Benefit in Kind (BiK) tax year||BiK tax rate||Annual BiK value|
|For cars registered after 6 April 2020|
* For further information including how to calculate personal BiK liabilities, please visit our Electric Car Tax guide.
|London Congestion Zone Charge*||£0|
|Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge**||£0|
* A £10 annual registration fee will still apply to each vehicle.
** For further information on London's Ultra Low Emission Zones (ULEZ), please visit our ULEZ guide.
|OZEV EVHS Grant||✔||£350||Can be used to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
|OZEV Plug-in Car Grant||✘||£0||Used to reduce the cost of the vehicle|
|EST Domestic Charge Point Grant||✔||£250||Can be used in Scotland in addition to the EVHS grant to reduce the cost of a home charger with installation|
* Prices for vehicles and chargepoints are typically displayed with the Plug-in Car and EVHS grant discounts already applied.